Monday, September 04, 2006

Good Beer

I guess my top living songwriters post got me in a list making mood, so here I've posted 5 beers that I've found to be especially good. I'm always willing to add more to my list, but I've enjoyed these for a while now, and they never disappoint. Also, I'll take this opportunity to put in a plug for the best bar in the world...if you live in the Atlanta area or are passing through, be sure to stop at The Brick Store in Decatur. It will be well worth your time. So, without further delay, bring on the beer:

1. St. Bernardus Abt 12: this dark ivory colored beer is brewed at the Trappistenweg 23 monastery in Watou Belgium. It has a rich fruity flavor, which is characteristic of the Belgian ales. It is very complex and very different from what most Americans think of as "beer", but it is well worth trying. Only problem is you'll be hooked. Be careful, though, at 10.5% ABV (Alcohol By Volume) it can hit you pretty quick.


2. Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA: after this you'll never drink another IPA. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find this in Georgia. I picked up a six-pack in North Carolina this summer, and while I'm glad I did, I am now ruined for any other IPA. Like most IPA's it is quite hoppy, but this one is at a level seldom tasted. If you run across this be sure to pick some up for yourself (and for me).


3. Rogue Mocha Porter: the Rogue Brewery in Portland has a great selection of beers. In fact, the Brick Store Pub, mentioned above, always keeps a Rogue on tap. Of all the Rogue brews I've tried, though, this one is my favorite. It has a rich bittersweet chocolate flavor. It goes great with a meal or by itself. While dark, it goes down smooth and is not a "meal" in and of itself.

4. Three Philosophers: this Belgian style ale brewed at the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY, which is also the location of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Good beer and baseball...what could be a better combination? Anyway, this beer has a rich fruity flavor and is the closest thing you'll come to a Belgian Abby ale outside Belgium. This also makes it easier to find. Most liquor stores will have Three Philosophers. You just have to hunt for it through all the Bud and Icehouse.


5. Samuel Adams Summer Ale: finally, I thought I'd finish off with a seasonal beer. Sam Adams is probably the best mainstream brewery around. You can find their beer at any grocery store or liquor store and they always have great seasonal brews. The Summer Ale is a wheat beer with a hint of lemon. It's a great tasting beer for a hot summer day. Be sure to pick up some quick, if there's any left, or else you'll be waiting for next season.

2 comments:

  1. just now reading the beer review...sorry. it was on labor day..i was somewhere, well, drinking beer.
    sadly, I don't think I've tried any of the above, not even the Sammy summer. I vote Leffe!!! I love that stuff so much, and its good w/ an Orange, a la Hoegarten. But its a Belgian abby ale that we drank a lot in France. Maybe that's why I like it.
    -k

    ReplyDelete